1. Is there evidence to show management commitment to Food Safety system application? Are these shown in the related objectives? Are objectives measurable?
2. Does the organisation have a food safety policy?
3. Has a HACCP plan been developed? Does the plan cover all end products?
4. Has a multidisciplinary Food Safety team been formed?
5. Have the organisation appointed a Food Safety team leader and defined the responsibilities and authorities?
6. Does the organisation define the responsibility and authority of the Food Safety team?
7. Is the knowledge of the Food Safety team suitable and appropriate?
8. How is internal and external communication controlled and who has responsibility? Is the communication effective?
9. Do the company have emergency preparedness and response procedures in place? Have they been verified?
10. Is a Management Review activity carried out as required? Is it effective?
1. Has the product or product range been fully described?
2. Does the specification include safety information (such as PH, aw, etc.)?
3. Does the specification include details of raw material and ingredients?
4. Does the specification include the type of packaging?
5. Does the specification include the storage conditions?
6. Does the specification include labelling instruction?
7. Does the specification include the method of distribution (in detail)?
8. Does the specification include shelf life and storage conditions?
9. Does the specification include the intended use?
10. Does the specification include the appropriate consumer?
11. Does the specification include the specific methods of use?
Process Flow Diagram
1. Is the process flow diagram comprehensive?
2. Are all raw materials, ingredients, packaging materials and process/storage activities included in the process flow diagram?
3. Have changes been made since the process flow diagram was established?
4. How does the HACCP team get notified of changes to the process or product parameters?
5. How were the changes recorded and approved?
6. Were any changes discussed with HACCP team before implementation?
7. Has the process flow diagram been verified on-site for the compliance with the actual operation?
Hazards Analysis and Preventive Measures
1. How was the hazard analysis conducted?
2. Have all hazards been evaluated qualitatively and/or quantitatively?
3. Have all raw materials been included?
4. Have all process steps been considered?
5. Have the hazards been specifically identified or just in general?
6. How did the team assess the likelihood of occurrence?
7. What information sources were utilised?
8. Have appropriate preventive measures been set up for each hazard?
9. Do the measures prevent or reduce to an acceptable level the hazards and how were the measures were validated?
10. Are all preventive measures in place at the plant level?
Critical Control Points (CCPÕS)
1. How were the CCPÕs identified?
2. By the use of a CCP decision tree?
3. Have all necessary CCPÕs been identified?
1. Have critical limits been established for each CCP?
2. How were the critical limits established? Is there evidence? (national/ international standard, requirements of relevant legislation, experimental data, literature references etc)?
3. What validation exists to confirm that the critical limits can prevent possible occurrence of hazards?
4. How does the organisation differentiate the critical limits from operational limits?
5. Are the critical limits implemented at plant level?
1. Monitoring Procedures
2. Have monitoring procedures been established for all CCP's established?
3. Is there any evidence that procedures are being followed consistently?
4. What is the status of monitoring equipment?
5. Are the sampling plans statistically valid?
6. Have the organisation a clear system for product identification of product to ensure traceability if deviation occurs?
7. Have the organisation taken any actions when deviation occurred?
8. Are monitoring personnel trained and qualified?
9. Have monitoring results been recorded?
1. Are the corrective action procedures in place?
2. What evidence is there to demonstrate that effective corrective actions are taken in the event of a CCP deviation?
3. Has the responsibility and authority for corrective action been defined?
4. How non-conforming product controlled and recorded?
5. How does the organisation dispose of any affected products?
6. Has corrective action been recorded and how is the effectiveness verified?
7. Do these corrective actions consider modifying the process or HACCP plan, if the critical limit is violated consistently
1. Have verification procedures been established?
2. Have the responsibilities, authorities, methods, frequency and type of verification been defined in the procedures?
3. Are the methods and frequency sufficient to ensure that the system is working correctly, effectively and complies with relevant regulations_
4. How did the organisation conduct the initial validation of HACCP plan_
5. Do the procedures include review of records?
6. Is there a regular review of CCP failure and product dispositions?
7. Do the procedures include calibration of monitoring and measuring equipment?
8. Have personnel responsible for verification been trained?
9. Do the procedures include evaluation of customer and consumer complaints?
10. Is there a regular review of results of sanitation control procedures?
11. How is the data from verification being used to improve the HACCP system?
Documentation and Record Keeping
1. What procedure does the organisation follow to manage system documents?
2. Does the documentation cover all of the HACCP system operation?
3. Have documents been properly approved by authorised personnel before issue?
4. How is the documentation controlled?
5. Has the organization obtained related codes, standards, legislation and regulation to the food product?
6. How does the organisation control document changes? Are all documents current?
7. Are the records accessible?
8. Are the HACCP records clearly identified?
9. Has the documentation and record control system been set up in consideration of the size and nature of the organization?
10. Are the HACCP records retained in the proper conditions to prevent damage, deterioration or loss?
11. How long does the organization retain the records?
1. Have they developed a training procedure for identifying training needs and training personnel?
2. Does the organisation have training plans?
3. How many personnel have been trained in HACCP principles and the relevant legislation and regulations?
4. How many personnel have been trained to perform internal audits?
5. How does the organization train personnel on sanitation control?
6. How does the organisation verify the effectiveness of training?
1. Does the organisation have a procedure to manage product recall?
2. In what circumstance do the products need to be recalled?
3. Have the responsibility and authority been defined?
4. Has there been a full or partial product recall?
5. How many products were concerned?
6. What was the reason?
7. How did the organisation handle these products?
8. How did the organisation ensure all affected product was identified and recalled?
1. Does the organisation have a procedure to deal with all consumer and customer complaints?
2. Have the responsibility and authority been defined?
3. Did the complaints concern product safety?
4. What actions have the organisation taken?
5. Have these complaints been documented?
6. Have these complaints been utilized for verification of the system?
Sanitation Control Procedures
1. Does the organisation have documented hygiene control procedures?
2. Has the organisation tested water quality, how often and by whom? Does the organisation use mains, well or bore hole water? What is the status of the environment? Has the water been treated? (e.g. chlorination, softening) Has the treatment been monitored? Is there any contamination possibility? (e.g. cross-contamination between potable water and non-potable water etc.) Have records are kept of water treatment and quality?
3. Do the hygiebe control procedures cover all aspects of sanitation and hygiene?
4. Does the condition of food contact surfaces meet the requirement of hygiene? (Equipment, facilities, clothing and gloves of employees etc.) Does the organisation have cleaning plans? Are the plans adequate? Are there adequate cleaning facilities in place and are the facilities in good condition? Have the results of cleaning been monitored and verified for effectiveness? (e.g. microbiological analysis) Have the employees been trained for personal hygiene?
5. Have sanitation procedures been verified for effectiveness?
6. Is the layout, flow of material and personnel sufficient to prevent cross contamination? Have the equipment and facilities in different risk areas been properly separated? How does the organisation handle contaminated products? Is there any other cross-contamination that is likely to occur? (e.g. truck, cart, etc.)
7. What actions did the organisation take when the procedures were violated?
8. How does the organisation maintain these facilities? Does the organisation have adequate hand washing and sanitising facilities in production areas? (Entrances and main production areas) Does the organisation have adequate toilet facilities and is the condition acceptable?
9. Are packaging materials stored in good condition? Are the products and packaging materials being protected from contamination? Is condensate present? Are lubricants and cleaning chemicals properly controlled? Are lights adequately protected? (Glass) Is the condition of the environment around the production area/s suitable
Internal HACCP Audit
1. Does the organisation have an internal audit plan for HACCP?
2. At what frequency does the organisation conduct internal audits?
3. Have the audit purpose, criteria, scope and methods been defined?
4. How does the organisation ensure that the program covers all aspects of HACCP system?
5. Have the auditors been trained?
6. Have the responsibilities and requirements for audit been defined?
7. How does the organisation ensure the independence and impartiality of the activities?
8. Have the purposes of audit been achieved?
9. Is the audit data utilised for improvement of the HACCP system?